Saturday, May 05, 2007

Book launch, Killer insects

The launch for Lonely Werewolf Girl will be at the Boogaloo, 312 Archway Road, on the 12th June. Doors open 7.30, entry free, I'm onstage for my first reading about 8.30. I like reading onstage though it's a few years since I last did it. We'll be selling books there and I'll be signing them.

I realise a book launch may sound like rather a dull event but at my launch you can drink at the bar and listen to music. Although I should warn you that I'm selecting the music and I haven't lost my fondness for Led Zeppelin and early Deep Purple singles. But who doesn't enjoy the powerful guitar solos of Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore? Almost no one, I'm sure. So my launch will be fun and I recommend you turn up.

Today, sitting at the computer, I heard a buzzing noise and looked down to find a wasp the size of a vulture about to attack my leg. I vaulted out the chair like an Olympic athlete and fled the room, not venturing back till well-armed with a rolled up magazine and a hunting net. After some fierce combat, I shuffled the killer-wasp back out the window from whence it had arrived. It was a long struggle, and it took some determination to overcome the beast. And it made me realise, once more, that the only safe thing to do is stay indoors with the windows closed. From now on, I will forgo fresh air in an effort to prevent these ravening creatures from invading my house. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before some killer insect - possibly unknown to science - stings or bites me, I plunge into immediate anaphylactic shock, and die on the way to hospital.

* looking on the bright side *

Anyway, wildlife permitting, I'll be at the Boogaloo in North London on the 12th June.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:13 am

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:16 am

    Launch sounds great! Am hoping to get an Afghan waistcoat-clad pic of you reading for my (plug) mag. Ahem.

    Music - do you take requests? :o) Surely there should be some Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will definitely be some Sweet. And T Rex, and probably Slade. Yes, my soundtrack will contain a good share of 70s glam classics.

    ReplyDelete