Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oh Bondage Up Yours

I'd better write something here, if only as a farewell before I'm carried off by swine flu. I can feel it heading towards me right now. These germs are lurking out there, just waiting for Millar to make an appearance before leaping on board. I'm doomed, and there's nothing to be done about it.

Am plunged into nostalgia again, first by a programme on BBC4 about 70's music. It was great. I mean the music. Well, the programme was good as well. The video of the Sex Pistols playing Pretty Vacant is a high point in Western Culture and I will listen to no arguments against. And yes I remember watching it on Top of the Pops the first time round.

After that I was hunting in a box of stuff when this badge popped out. I'd long forgotten I had it. I don't think I've even seen it for about 30 years. I bought it at a stall in the King's Road, in the far-off days when there was a cheap market there.

It says 'Bondage Up Yours, a reference to X-Ray Spex's song Oh Bondage Up Yours. I saw X-Ray Spex in small pub in Wandsworth, right back in their original incarnation when Laura Logic was still in the band. That was such a great gig. The tiny stage was no more than a foot high, and standing right next to Poly Styrene as she sang was quite an experience. But I'm fairly sure I wrote about this gig in my blog before, so will not drone on about it again.

Hmm. I seem to be in danger of disappearing into the past, and indeed might already have done so were it not for the collection of glamorous young fetish models who visit regularly and, in-between unspeakable perversions and regular cups of tea, do keep me somewhat up to date with the modern world.

10 comments:

  1. I first thought the title of the article was a reference to your (well, your story's, rather) appearance in Second Skin magazine. Have I told you how much I enjoyed that?
    It was great.

    Don't worry too much about the flu, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want fetish models to have tea with too...and other things. Hehe. Everything is rubbish now. I'd rather live in the Almost Famous movie, which is maybe worse that living in your own past, because that's a fictional past. You should watch Almost Famous if you haven't. Great movie about rock n' roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the watching of Almost Famous. I want to live in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heheh...me too...I still have a Rubella Ballet badge on my leather jacket ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:17 am

    Bondage buttons and fetish models?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you liked the story, Spacedlaw. (The magazine was Skin Two) I wrote two stories for them, and would have liked the opportunity to write more, though that probably won't happen as Skin Two has changed into a yearbook now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Germaine and Libby, I haven't seen Almost famous. I'll watch it when it next appears on a film channel.

    Lucy Fur ...Rubella Ballet ... I haven't heard that name for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martin, how do you think I feel? I'm visiting your cold little island from my own warm and swine flu free, big island in the South Pacific at the moment. I'm about to head into London and expose myself to more germs! I'm afraid they won't let me back on the plane. I'm thinking one of those sponge-off PVC fetish outfits might just be the go for keeping the dreaded germs at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fetish outfit would be a good easily-spongable item! Though people might possibly misinterpret your reasons for wearing it. I hope you survive the visit to London and make it home safely to your warm island.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anita1:19 am

    London was great and I remain Swine Flu free, my warm island however does not. Wasn't me. I'm not taking any responsibility for that. (And the fetish outfit went down a treat on the tube)

    ReplyDelete