Monday, September 28, 2009

Flash Drive

Here is a picture of me holding my complete works, loaded on to a flash drive. It's the first one I've owned. I'm always a long way behind with technology.

These are so ubiquitous now that I didn't even have to go to a computer shop to buy it. I got it in the local 'We-Sell-Everything' shop, where it was sandwiched between alarm clocks, novelty mugs and plastic food containers. Last month I bought a cheap kettle from the same shop.

I put everything I've ever written on the flash drive. That's a lot of books, including Thraxas. Then I attached it to my key-ring, and walked around feeling pleased with myself. I have my complete works on my key-ring. I wasn't expecting that to happen in 1984, when I was writing Milk, Sulphate and Alby Starvation on an old typewriter.

Later I became worried about literary spies stealing my works in progress, also copied onto the drive. So I downloaded encryption software, learned how to use it, and encrypted it all. Then I walked around feeling even more pleased with myself. Whilst I may always be behind with technology, I refuse to give up the struggle, not wanting to fall out of touch with the modern world. Next target, film myself reading and put it on Youtube. That sounds difficult, but it's time the world was exposed to my impenetrable Scottish accent.

7 comments:

  1. Literary spies? Goodness, Norwood has changed a lot. Any more werewolves in the offing? I'm in need of some imminent holiday reading so that I, y'know, don't have to talk to anyone. Lizzy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! I'd like to hear you read, if you do get around to filing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know when spies are about, Lizzie! I can't trust anyone. The new werewolf book is almost finished, but it won't be out till summer 2010, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marjorie, I do intend to film myself reading, though I'm not great with technology. And also quite lazy, which doesn't help. However, I will manage it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I want to hear you read too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading aloud? Not very technological, thank goodness. Oh. Utube. Oh well, i suppose i'm in yorkshire, so hearing you read might be a bit tricky otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:04 pm

    YAY I can't wait for the sequel to lonely werewolf girl! Definitely film yourself reading, it would be nice to hear how the story sounds to you. :P

    ReplyDelete