Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Japan World Cup / Intruder Alert

I very much enjoyed watching the women's world cup final between Japan and the USA. It was a really good game, played at a high standard. I didn't mind who won, as both teams were good. It was exciting right to the end, when Japan were the victors in a penalty shoot-out.

I toasted Japan's victory with some warm sake. Well, I was going to drink that anyway. But I pretended it was a toast. I've been able to buy sake more easily recently, as my local supermarket has started stocking it, so I don't have to shop online anymore, and wait for it to be delivered.

About 10.45 pm, not long after the game finished, I had an extremely alarming experience. Someone put a key in my front door and tried to open it! Actually, alarming doesn't quite cover it. I headed towards the front door, shouting loudly and attempting to sound fierce. This had no effect, and the unknown intruder kept trying to open my front door with a key

So I threw open the door, ready to fight for my life. OK, that's not quite accurate. I opened the door with the burglar chain still in place. But if the intruder had broken through that, I was definitely ready to fight for my life.

The intruder turned out to be a young man I recognised, from the next section of this block, so hopelessly drunk that he'd wandered into the wrong entrance. He was fumbling to open what he thought was his own front door. He looked at me quite cheerfully and smiled when I told him he had the wrong flat. Then he shook my hand before stumbling off.

So that was alarming. But for a drunk person, it was quite an easy mistake. There are various entrances to all the flats in this long block, and they all look exactly the same. I have on one occasion found myself wandering into the wrong entrance, though I did realise my mistake before I tried to open someone else's front door.

Afterwards I drank more sake and returned to watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, one of many anime I'm watching at the moment.

5 comments:

  1. My dad once had a similar problem, but it was a hotel room, and the guy on the other side of the door was the coach for a Football (American) team demanding to know why he wasn't up and at practice. (He had the wrong room.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita7:24 am

    That's happened to me twice now and it is a little frightening, especially if you live alone. The first time I flung the door open to find a cheerful man armed with cleaning supplies trying to get in with a key. Which would have been fine except he was on the wrong floor so I couldn't pretend it was me and let him clean my flat. The second time was late at night and again I flung the door open and demanded to know what was going on in an imperious tone of voice,difficult to maintain seeing as I was wearing undies and a camisole (no I didn't think it through) only to find my neighbour and a locksmith attempting to get into HER flat and not mine. That was the first and last time I have spoken to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:33 pm

    there are some excellent cosplay and other tributes to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya exit theme on youtube, i'd recommend looking them up if you haven't already :)

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on my way to look at them now, Dianne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Martin,
    I would be very interested to hear about what other anime you like. Except Fairy Tail, I don't know what anime to watch at the moment. So I will give K-On and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a try. Maybe you have posted already a list of your favorite anime somewhere or would be willing to, i'd be happy to see it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete